Thursday, April 5, 2012

Reader Request: MakeUp for Specs Wearers

Its been a while since Anks of NoviceMakeUp asked me to do some makeup looks for specs wearers. Of course the lazy bum that I am, I had been shelving it and the sweet patient friend that she is, she kept on reminding me from time to time. Then there came a point when I could not live the guilt anymore and so I finally did it :P Anks... thank you :) So lets get started...

Let me be honest, for doing this post I did a lot of research on the internet and well I came across a lot of Dos and Donts... Some made sense and some didn't... So what did I do? Well I made my set of rules and I am sharing them with you :) You can should adapt these pointers of my mine to what suits you best and what you are comfortable with...

Now let me tell you all as to why I am going to proceed with the post... I am first going to list out tips that must be followed while wearing spectacles. Next I am going to illustrate to you all a few looks that I think would look fabulous  when wearing spectacles and finally I am going to open the session for further discussion and for your points and suggestions through the comments section :) So here goes...

Important Pointers to be kept in mind:
Disclaimer: These pointers are for people blessed with Myopic Eyes like moi ;)

1. Glasses in generally are a "huge" face accessory hence it is often a good idea to keep your makeup light when wearing glasses.
  • If you want to go for heavy makeup then I would suggest you to go for rimless or transparent rimmed glasses. These type of glasses are makeup's best friend :)
  • If you have black frames like mine then eye makeup should be a minimum while playing with lip color is recommended :) 
  • If you have colored rims then you have to be very careful with the colors you will use in your makeup, they should not clash with the color of your rims!
2. Spectacles tend to cast a shadow under your eyes and if you have dark circles then it makes them all the more prominent. Hence, it is advisable to conceal at least your dark circles very well and if possible to use a light reflecting concealer like those from Clarins, YSL and Dior. Ok who am I kidding? I did go in search for some "reachable" light reflecting concealers and found that MAC Cover Up concealers are light reflecting and very surprisingly Oriflame makes light reflective concealers too ;)

3. Myopic specs generally tend to make the eyes look smaller and so loads of beauty blogs suggested using a white liner on the waterline. But you guys know na how I much I love a black waterline so I rebelled and then inferred that unless your power is really high like maybe above 3.5 or something, you can give the white/nude liner a skip. But of course ideally the waterline should have a white liner applied :)

4. Smoldering and heavy dark smokey eyes are a huge no no when wearing specs. Yes I never imagined that I would say no to smokey eyes but siigghhhh (btw my sighs are copied from my bestie Manu Sharma) specs means no dark eye shadows on the lids.

5. Continuing with point 4, you must avoid wearing dark shades of eye shadows with specs. Try going for lighter and neutral shades. But I rebelled and well satiated my thirst for color with some colorful and bright eye shadows. But a strict no to dark blues, dark greens and Purples (Mauve is ok)...

6. Ok one very important thing is that if you are wearing specs then your eyebrows should be very well groomed and should frame your face well... Sparse eyebrows (yup like mine) is a strict no-no for specs wearers...

7. Mascaras are a must for glass wearers as they open up the eyes. Try avoiding wearing mascara on your lower lashline though :)

Now for some do-able looks:
1. The nude and natural look...

2. A subtle and soft smokey eyes (Couldn't help myself) look...






















3. The classic, winged liner with Red lips look...

4. The fun colored liner and bright lips look...

In the end let me remind you, its your glasses, your face and your life, do what you want and have fun with makeup, just try keeping the top 7 pointers in mind and you can never go wrong!