Saturday, May 21, 2011

Alzheimer's Folk Do Not Want To Talk About It!!!!

This is actuaaly about denial this post. I read on caregiver sites, other blogs and comments on mine, "how do I get mom or dad to admit they have Alzheimer's, they are in denial".

Well my point of view, you just don't. What is the big deal if they say Yes dam it I have Alzheimer's. Does that validate YOU in some way. Frick they know something is wrong, wake up. Your job as their caregiver is TO BE THEIR FOR THEM, not to make them agree to having Alzheimer's. We know we have a problem and it will get worse.

Yes I am yelling at you. Imagine yourself being handed a DEATH SENTENCE, that is what Alzheimer's is. Would You go around skipping down the street saying oh goody I have Alzheimer's; or do you think you just might keep your mouth shut and go about your business the best you could? That is what I choose to do and many folks that I know that have the disease have choosen to do. But I tell you on this blog what is happening to me so you get some insight into our world of frustration, terror and brain fog. I do not know how everyone feels, but i do not consider myself any more important than anyone else with this disease, we walk together.

Forget whether your patient, loved one, etc. accepts or talks about having Alzheimer's. They have it, is not that enough said? Help them do not hoover and smother them, be there and not in their face. As you can tell this denial shit getss to me, because I wonder who really is in denial, the person with the disease or the person saying that one is in denial.

Enough of my ranting.

God Bless & Keep You & This Country of Ours!
joe