Tuesday, March 27, 2012

READER QUERY: How To Apply Makeup on Darker Lids

Dimpal asks...

hi Suma,
i want ur help .. i have duskier eyelids.. colors just refuses to show on my eyelids... i use nyx eyeshadow base and garnier anti dark circle roll on too but thy r nt much help...
thnx n Luv


A lot of us have this issue of having darker eye lids due to which eye shadows do not show up with as much pigmentation as it does on others. But fear not :) Like I always say MakeUp is like magic and it can help you achieve any look you covet and so makeup has a solution for this problem too :) Did I sound very dramatic here? :P

There are three things you can do...
1. Apply a good eye primer before you apply your shadow but you already do that and it doesn't help right? So you'll need to follow steps 2 and 3 :)

2. Use a good concealer, which I am assuming will be 2 shades lighter than your lids and a similar shade to your face. Apply it generously on your lid area till your brow bone. This will ensure a clean and an even canvas to start with your eye makeup. If you have oily lids then do set the concealer with a pressed powder without fail.

3. Invest in a good cream eye shadow base palette. I use one from Oriflame, there used to be a cream shadow palette available with Colorbar as well as NYX too. Or better still if your budget permits then buy some MAC paint pots too :) Use these cream shadow as bases over your concealer application. Then apply your powder eye shadows over these cream shadows. I guarantee some awesome pigmentation with this :)

Do note that after applying the cream shadow base, using a powder shadow is optional. I use a powder shadow over cream cause I have oily lids and I need to set in the cream shadow with a powder one :)

I hope this helps Dimpal... If anyone has any other suggestions do pitch in through the comments section :) It would be highly appreciated! :)