Friday, January 11, 2013

Foggy Friday


There’s something about this time of year, when a little rain mixed with unseasonably warm weather produces fog. I’ll admit I’m not a big fan of fog. For one thing, it’s a little spooky to be driving along and hit a heavy patch of fog. For some reason this always seems a little bit like driving into the Twilight Zone. Makes me halfway expect to hear strange music and to see Rod Serling, dressed in a suit and tie, standing alongside the road ready to hint at what’s really going on in the depths of the thickest fog.

Fog scares me, especially since the night I was driving along a gravel road after a visit with Jim at the nursing home and hit fog so thick I couldn’t see anything. I stopped and with trembling fingers dialed my son’s phone. I was afraid someone would come along and ram into me.

“If you can’t see anything then surely no one else is driving either,” he said.

While I sat there waiting for the fog to lift, I couldn’t help but think how Alzheimer’s is like a fog blanketing cognitive skills. Sometimes, fog just drifts in and out, but other times, it halts us in our tracks.

After a few long moments, the world became visible and I could see the road. I drove to my son’s house. When I worked up the nerve to head on home, he still thought it was risky for me to drive, so he led the way. His taillights were like beams shiny from a lighthouse directing me to safety.

You can be that beacon for your loved one when the fog is the thickest.


Early Onset Alzheimer's blog is in a contest for the Best Health Blog of 2012 with a $1,000 prize. Currently, I'm in the top ten out of 300+ blogs. You can vote via Facebook or Twitter daily between now and February 15. Please remember to vote every day because your vote really counts! It is easy to vote—simply follow the link below and click on the "Vote Now" button next to Early Onset Alzheimer's. If I win, I will use the prize money to fund attendance of my 13th consecutive Alzheimer’s Association Public Policy Forum in Washington, DC.