Friday, March 23, 2012

Rhubarb & Ginger Crumble Cake, Sorted!

So in my recent Mothers Day post, I mentioned about how I had made a yummy cake for the special day. I have always loved baking and have many childhood memories of putting on my apron and getting covered in flour on a Sunday afternoon! Unfortunately now, I rarely get to bake so Mothers Day was the perfect excuse to turn on the oven and get out my mixing bowl! Now I can't take all the credit for this wonderfully indulgent cake as I did have a little help from a few familiar faces! The SORTED team!

In January I was invited down to London to cook with the cheerful chaps themselves and we had a great time making a rhubarb crumble cake. The are so friendly and are just as witty in real life as they appear in the videos! It was rhubarb season at the time and I also live in the rhubarb triangle in Yorkshire, so it seemed silly not to make a rhubarb desert!


Ingredients:
soft butter (100g)
caster sugar (100g)
2 eggs
drop of vanilla essence
self-raising flour (100g)
rhubarb (300g)
1 tbsp demerara sugar for the rhubarb
butter (25g)
plain flour (50g)
demerara sugar (25g)
Recipe:
preheat oven to 190°C.
line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
beat in the eggs and vanilla.
fold in the flour.
slice the rhubarb into 2cm pieces and toss in the demerara sugar.
make the crumble topping by rubbing the butter into the flour and stirring in the sugar.
pour the cake mix into the tin and scatter the rhubarb on top.
sprinkle the topping over and bake for 30 minutes.
 The recipe it's self is super simple (lot's of 's's there!) so practically anyone could make this given they had the ingredients at hand. Now we had quite a lot of guests to the house on Mothers day so I actually doubled everything in the recipe to make enough! This also meant doubling the baking time. I lined my cake tin and began with the preparations. It was so easy and within no time at all it was in the oven!


I actually made a few minor adjustments to my cake to experiment with a few more flavours and textures! I grated up about an inch cube of fresh ginger and placed that over the rhubarb and underneath the crumble topping. I also sprinkled over some chopped almonds to add a bit of extra crunch! Here is what the cake looked like after an hour in the oven:


The final result was absolutely delicious! The whole family loved it and couldn't believe that I had made it with my own fair hands! Some enjoyed it with ice cream, some with a drizzle of cream and others simply with a cup of good old Yorkshire tea! There wasn't much left for me to photograph but I just wanted to add this photo to show you the center of the cake. Because of the rhubarb, the cake was kept lovely and moist! It was soft, tangy and gooey whilst still having a sweet crunch from the almond crumble! I have to take my hat off to Ben (the SORTED chef) for creating this recipe!


I really hope you enjoyed the post and please do let me know if you end up making this ravishing rhubarb crumble cake! I had a wonderful time down at the SORTED studios and would like to thank them again (if they are reading!) for a really great day. If you would like to watch me and the rest of the gang in action, please watch the video below: