Thursday, August 4, 2011

I wonder why I bother to share my Journey!


As many of you know i get rather testy at times and just fell like saying to hell with it, you do not need to know this or how I feel.  Then i get an email like the one tha follows, this is why I keep trying to give us a voice.  Parts are edited since it came to my private email so no name of way to tell who it is from. But i did write back to the person, took me a short time then longer. I asked for a pic and name and dates for my memory page, but like soooooo many of you i receive nothin back. I post the pics so people will know that these folks lived, they gave, they touch others lives and that should be celebrated. well to the email i am getting on my soap opera box. by the way this has been on my todo list for sometime, i am quick.I was asked if i filled out the facebook form, YOU BET YOUR SWEET A__, I did.
____________________________________________________________________

Hello, My name is xxxxxx, and I'm a nursing student studying in xxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxx (Canada).  I watched The Alzheimer's Project documentary, and was very touched by your story.  I know you have probably heard this from so many other people who have read your story online, or watched this same documentary, but I would like to thank you so much for contributing your own experiences and stories to helping understand and find a cure for Alzheimer's.  I was asked to write an essay for one of my courses at school on anything I wanted related to disease and disease concepts.  I chose Alzheimer's because my grandfather passed away from A.D. 10 years ago.  I never had the chance to really get to know him, since his diagnosis occurred when I was only 2 years old.  By the time I was old enough to have memories of my own, he had already progressed to the very late stages of the disease.  He only spoke Italian, which I did not, thus I had very limited communication with him.  My memories with this man consist of visiting him at the nursing home, where he stared at me with blank eyes. I fed him and walked him around, and told him stories.  When he passed away, I felt like a part of me had been ripped out of my chest, and it was difficult to accept that I had not known him better, and could do nothing about that. I appreciate hearing from someone who can recount his own experiences with this disease. I do not have personal experience with this disease, and was only an observer to something that took away someone I loved.  However, I believe that it takes great strength to explain what it feels like to go through something that takes away from the person you have grown to become.  I do not know what has happened to you or your family, or if you crosses "the line" since the documentary was filmed. I would only like to thank you, quite simply, for giving me a story that my grandfather never was able to. So thank you, truly, from the bottom of my heart.

God Bless & Keep You & This Country of Ours!
joe