Monday, August 8, 2011

REM Behavioral Disorder and Dementia.

Why this topic? Well today I found out that I suffer from REM Behavioral Disorder and have for sometime, years. I am undergoing sleep study this Wednesday to find out how far it has progressed along with my sleep apnea and other stuff.  Found out today that this disorder has long been shown to be a precusor to dementia. My sleep Dr. is excited to make the study because it is not often he gets to deal with this.

What is it? Well apparently when i enter the REM stage of sleep i do a lot of twitching, jerking and as it progresses I get violent in my sleep. Poor Lynn has been the bearer of this action. However she has most of the time feels things starting and gets to me before, yes I start beating on anything in the bed including her. This is apparently what also helped me out of bed and on to the floor. So if you know anyone with this disorder maybe they should start talking now to a medical professional that has ears and maybe able to save them some rotten years ahead.

Alzheimer's and Frontal Temporal Dementia, have for runners apparently not just shrinkage, amaloyids and stroke or damage.  Have not seen any studies that I have found that show much about sleep disorders and dementia, really. They have touched on it, but I am not sure they have done any real serious in depth looking at the connection. They probably fall asleep anyway. 

Also found out today that my stature in life has shortened by 2¼", yes i have shrunk from a towering 5'83/4" to a colosal 5' 6½" inches. This i attribute to my kids they made me old, grey, short and fat. Till next time take care.

God Bless & Keep You & This Country of Ours!!
joe